Monday, July 23, 2012

Building a Firefox Add-on

I have just built a Firefox add-on using the Add-on builder.

Add-on builder is a web based tool that is easy to use to develop the add on. There is also the SDK which can be used to develop the add-on from the command line. I have not used the command line options.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/developers/builder

Once there, select Try Builder. This takes you to a new page. At the top, select Sign-in. Once signed in, select Account to see the add-ons you have already created.

View the addon dashboard at
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/developers/addons

To publish at the dashboard, zip the contents of the extension folder (do not include the folder) and change the extension to .xpi.

I am using add-on builder, so I do not have the folder for the extension, but the .xpi file can be downloaded from add-on builder and then uploaded through the dashboard. Unfortunately, the link in add-on builder for uploading a new version does not work.

It seems that the add-on builder upload did work. When I did the manual upload, I received an error message that it was already uploaded.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers