Thursday, May 17, 2018

Updating Maps on Garmin Nuvi 650

The internal memory of the Garmin Nuvi 650 is too small for modern maps.

The Nuvi can handle up to a 32 GB SD card. I have a card of 8 GB with maps from 2014 and 2017.

I inserted a new card to install the maps for 2019.

Garmin Express only wants to install to the internal memory.

Use Garmin Express to install the maps on the computer only.

On my Mac, the location is in the my Library/Application Support/Garmin. The old maps are installed in the Maps folder. The new maps are installed in the Express/Maps/NA.2019.11/IMG. The folder has two files, .10 and .11. I copied both to the Garmin/Maps folder. Now they appear in MapInstall.

Use MapInstall to select the memory card on the Nuvi, select the new maps from the drop down and install. The install took 2 hours.

One year late...

On Windows, the maps are in /ProgramData/Garmin. (City Navigator North America NT 2020.10.gmap). I did not have to copy the new maps, they were already in the folder that MapInstall reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers